Welcome to my Creative World with quiltmaking, scrapbooking, and most of all family and friends!

Friday, August 15, 2008

Bird Watch




I love to see what is going on out in the yard with the birds. Today I had a new variety of feathered friends out there. Some Flickers showed up to take a bath in the small sprinkler I set out to green up a couple of places in the yard.
Here's some info from Wikipedia They were sitting on the group just taking a shower in the sprinkler. I took the pictures from my kitchen window through the screen so they aren't very clear but it was a fun show as the birds bathed in the water.

More Olympic excitement last night late as the two Americans won Gold and Silver in the women's gymnastics all around finals! What an exciting meet to watch but it sure bugged me that these two young women seem to have been cheated out of points on almost every event! Being the Momma of a former competitive gymnast it is just heart breaking when they aren't given the credit they deserve but bravo to Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson for their excellent work!
And how about Michael Phelps...what more can you say about how he is doing what he dreamed about and now tied with the poster boy of the '72 Olympics Mark Spitz...who is still looking mighty good to me! LOL
I remember one of my best friends in HS having Mark's famous poster on her wall after the Olympics our senior year 1973! We thought he was..."all that and a bag of chips" as my DD says! LOL

I did manage to get that Sunflower BOM top finished and now just need to do some machine quilting and then one more to bind! It would be nice to have it done before Aug is over! LOL
I will hopefully be able to take a picture on Sunday of the finished product.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Nedra said...

I was raised near the Santa Clara Swim team (Mark Spitz). In 1972 I was on our highschool swim team, and had a girlfriend who went to the Olympics to compete. Because of her Olympic training she couldn't compete with us, so she worked as a coach. I was just an average swimmer, but it was a very exciting time!

Nanette Merrill said...

It was a nice weekend wasn't it. I'm happy for Phelps but a little sad to see Mark Spitz record go down. Yeah he was my day, too. I told my kids Mark was cuter than Michael but they said his mustache was creepy. ha