Saturday, June 23, 2012
Well, each year my quilt group New Friends Quilt Circle does a special community service quilt project. We call it our Baby Quilt Challenge. Someone from the group purchases fabric and divides it into either fat quarters or half yards, depending on the fabric, and members of the group are asked to create a quilt to be donated to an area hospital for use with their NICU. Last year the fabric with panels were chosen as the challenge and I did create a quilt top but unfortunately it never got quilted and so it sat in the UFO pile until Jan of this year. I did get it about half quilted but then it sat again until this weekend. It is finally finished.
I often use the projects to work on new ideas and techniques. Making the top worked out pretty well and I did the machine quilting myself...it has a bit to be desired but I tried out a stitch in my machine that did a wavy line that worked out quite well on most parts but I ended up with a bit too much stitching in the center of the quilt this time. I also decided to work on my machine binding but with the binding already cut for a narrow hand bound quilt it was more tricky than it could have been and the corners are at bit wonky but it certainly went much faster than hand work! LOL
I am glad that it is now finished and I can turn it in for this year's show challenge area. Now to finished this year's quilt LOL