Welcome to my Creative World with quiltmaking, scrapbooking, and most of all family and friends!

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Let's Visit A Quilt Show!

During our city celebration my quilt group has, for the 19th year, hung a community quilt show. It is judged, but we intend the judging to help the quilters improve their skills and celebrate what beauty they create! This year our show started out pretty darn small but with some phone calls to our members and friends we ended up with about 100 entries!
These are some of my favorites...many done by my friends.
My vote for favorite quilt was the one in the upper middle...Save the Scraps for the Dogs...made by a group member JA...who had the doggie head panels from many years ago and just by combing through her stash was able to use many many bits and pieces to finish a much larger quilt top. The close up shows a typical block. the bottom right is the quilt that received the People's Choice award...my DH's Administrative Asst. JS made the quilt! I am glad he persuaded her to bring some quilts down to the show.
Upper left is a Mandela quilt made with prints from a local HS art class and the tiny vests quilt was started in 1997 when vests were so popular among quilters and finally finished last year. LOL Another of my quilt friends made that one. And I just love the patriotic flags quilt.
A very clever quilter made the Rush Limbaugh quilt and is planning to send it to him. I sure hope he appreciates all the work she did. The purple sampler was made by another of my quilt friends ND and is made from our BOM 3 years ago. I have many of the same elements hanging on my design wall. It turned out beautiful didn't it? I love her color palate and embroidery work.
Upper right is a close up of the Best of Show...a beautifully done whole cloth satin quilt. Yes, it is machine done but it is exquisite and so well done that I agree with the judges choice.

This last bunch are some of our donation quilts. Our group is very much involved in creating baby quilts and other sizes too for various charity groups including Project Linus, our local Parent to Parent groups and others when we find the needs. Each year we try to donate about 75 quilts and afghans made by members.

So as you can see we had a successful quilt show and are ready to plan next year's! LOL
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Dena said...

They are all so nicely done, it would be hard for me to select one as my favorite. Thanks for sharing.