Welcome to my Creative World with quiltmaking, scrapbooking, and most of all family and friends!

Sunday, December 7, 2014

Grand Illusion Mystery with Bonnie Hunter UPDATE

Grand Illusion Mystery Quilt

So here it is a year later and time for another mystery quilt designed by Bonnie Hunter at Quiltville.com.

For this year's mystery the first clue began the day after Thanksgiving and Howard and I were still visiting our family in Arizona so my quilt making was put off until I returned to Utah.
  My plans were to start on Wednesday but it was not until Thursday that I began clue #1 which luckily was a fairly easy step of half-square triangles and squares.  Easy enough using Inklingo for the half square triangles and rotary cutting the squares.  That one was done by Friday afternoon and I was ready for clue #2.

OH, my!  It's like last years "diamonds" step that we made into chevrons!  Sigh,  this one is a tricky step and since there is no Inklingo sized for this clue I decided to use the Easy Angle Ruler method.
I have never bought the Easy Angle however I did have a ruler that I purchased quite a few years ago from Kaye England that is the same concept which she uses to cut HST's like Bonnie does with the easy angle.
Hurrah it's wonderful to be able to use what I had on hand already.
So, to be honest mine didn't turn out perfect...and for some reason all the "diamond" shapes I cut from the printed template Bonnie provided turned out about 1/8 inch too small...sigh...

UPDATE: I figured out what the problem was!
I made measurements of the page comparing it to Bonnie's measurements and low and behold my printer was printing too big!  Took some trial and error but I need to reduce the printing to 95% of normal...When I did that and measured again the templates were accurate with the exception of the longwise measurements which were less than 1/16 of an inch too large. Glad to have that figured out but unfortunately I will have to live with what I have as the light pink fabric is almost gone and I am hoping that we won't need it for any more clues

I am not sure what happened but they are done and I will have to adjust as I sew them into the quilt once we have been given the reveal and assembly steps.

Photo one shows my fabrics and Clues 1 and 2 finished
Photo two shows the Kaye England ruler 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice job. I've only got a few of each clue done. I found the first clue harder than the second and struggled because I didn't have an Easy Angle. I tried to use the Omni Grid, but I ended up with fabric to trim. I used the No Waste method for the second clue.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

I really like your colors, it is going to be so nice. I did #3 and had no problem with those diamond units. Can you change your seam allowance a bit smaller?

Cathie in UT said...

Rhoda...the problem is a question of the "width" of the units. I am pretty sure that the template didn't print an accurate size and since there was no measuring scale on the template page I assumed it was correct and cut all the pieces. Sigh...